Motivation practices and employee performance of pharmaceutical companies in Uganda: a case study of super medic pharmaceutical limited Kampala
The purpose of the study was to investigate motivation practices and employee performance m pharmaceutical company, a case of Super Medic pharmaceutical Ltd, Kampala. The study was guided by the following objectives: to establish the most impo1iant motivation practices for the employees' performance at Super Medic Limited, to assess the relationship between recognition and employees' performance at Super medic Limited, to establish the extent to which promotion leads of employees' performance at Super Medic Limited. A case study survey design was used for this study and both qualitative and quantitative methods were analyzed using tables, samples, percentages and frequencies. The total number of people forming the population is about Eighty five(85). Thus, all the 85 employees were given questionnaires and 63 responded representing about (74%). That is, all were offered the chance to participate in the study but some about (26%) inevitably partially declined and data were analyzed using tables, frequencies and percentages. The major findings on motivation practices indicated that the respondents prefer salary increase, fringe benefit and promotion compared to responsibilities which are preferred by managers. It was recommended that Salary increase should be done annually because employees are concerned about their needs in the company. The study found out that there is high level of loyalty to the company which is good because accumulated experience of such a loyal staff could also effect on the increase of customer satisfaction and customer retention. The major recommendation was that similar study should be done with a representative sample at Kampala Pharmaceutical Industry. The sample size can be enlarged and different statistical tools can be used in the research. That apart, most government pharmaceutical industry can also investigate levels of motivation that can enhance their employees' performance. Their findings would help the company to determine which motivation practices their employees' desire most.